North Platte police charged a young man Sunday night for trespassing, something he has made a steady practice of doing.

With the temperature below zero at 10:03 p.m. Sunday, police spokeswoman Beth Kerr said officers went to a business in the 100 block of Halligan Drive to check out a trespassing complaint. They were told  a man had been staying in the business for several days and employees had even fed him for free.

The man was asked to leave but refused, so the police were called.

The man was later identified as Brandon Canola (aka Brandon Nugent), 22.

He refused to provide identification and tried to get away. When he was arrested, he resisted. He was eventually subdued and cuffed, but still fought against getting in the police cruiser.

Canola was finally identified when he arrived at the Lincoln County jail and recognized by some of the jail staff.

He is charged with second-degree criminal trespassing and resisting arrest.

Kerr said Canola / Nugent has been arrested 11 times since late October for trespassing at businesses that show sympathy for him, but he makes a nuisance of himself, refusing to leave when asked. When police arrive, he refuses to identify himself and resists arrest, Kerr said.

Nugent was arrested on similar charges on Nov. 26 after complaints from two businesses in the 500 block of Easy St., according to the Bulletin’s archives.

This time, bond is set at $25,000.


Belligerent bus rider

On Friday, March 1 at 12:58 a.m., police went to a business in the 1200 block of S. Dewey to check out a disturbance.

The officer met Stefon Cobb, 49, who arrived in town a short time earlier on a Greyhound bus. Cobb became stranded in North Platte after an argument with someone on the bus, Kerr said.

The police officer suspected Cobb had mental health or substance abuse issues due to his erratic behavior. The officer helped Cobb contact a relative and left the area.

At 2:41 p.m., an officer again went back to the business after receiving a call from a relative of Cobb’s who had arranged a motel room, Kerr said.

However, Cobb refused to go to the room and continued to behave erratically.

A short time later, an employee of the business called the police again. The employee said Cobb started to yell and scream about people coming to get him and tried to pass notes to other customers who did not want them, according to the report.

Cobb left the property at the officer’s request; however, he started running up to cars at a business in the 1300 block of South Dewey, near McDonald’s.

The customers there were waiting for service, with Cobb yelling, screaming and charging their vehicles, according to the police report.

When Cobb refused to leave the property, he was arrested and charged with disturbing the peace as well as second-degree criminal trespassing, and taken to jail. Bond was set at $2,500.



A hot argument erupted in the bitter cold at 1 p.m. Saturday at a travel center in the 3400 block of S. Newberry Rd.

Two people got into an argument over a parking spot and one of the drivers brandished a firearm toward the other, Kerr said.

The handgun was seized and Thomas Moore, 55, was charged with making terroristic threats and taken to jail.