High school students from a wide area are participating in an art show at the Prairie Arts Center, with works on display through March in the main gallery.
The top three artworks in each category received medals.
Katherine Ackerman won Best of Show.
In conjunction with the show, North Platte’s Art Study League honored four North Platte students with special recognition.
This is the eighth year that the Art Study League has recognized four North Platte high school seniors for their talents in the visual arts, organizer Wava Best said.
The league also recognizes the hard work and effort of their art teachers.
The art teachers at North Platte Senior High are Joy Petersen and Bailey Florom. The teacher at St. Patrick’s is Tim O’Neill.
“It is their dedication to the arts that inspire and bring the importance of art to everyone’s life,” Best said.
The honored students:
North Platte High students — Emma Seward and Katherine Ackerman.
Emma Seward is the daughter of Richard and Veronica Seward. She has been a member of orchestra all four years and was in the band/color guard as a freshman. Emma is involved in Art Club, Environmental Club, Dungeons and Dragons and the Spanish club. As a junior, she is in the National Honor Society and has a 4.0 grade point average.
Emma is interested in a career in graphic design and concept art and plans to attend the University of Nebraska in Kearney.
Katherine Ackerman has a 4.0 grade point average for four years, lettering in Academics and Forensics.
As a senior, she earned the NCPA Academic All-State Award in Play Production.
She was elected an officer in speech club, and also participated in debate.
She received student art show awards as a freshman and sophomore, and was selected by school faculty to the local Rotary.
Katherine is also active in the community in the First Presbyterian Church Youth Group, Grace Ministries food pantry, and the Salvation Army.
St. Pat’s High School students — Calli Groseth and Gracie Rippen.
Callie Groseth is the daughter of Lance and Brandi Groseth.
Her artworks were selected the best of show in the Mullen and South Platte Valley Association art competitions, along with people’s choice award in the SPVA show.
Callie participates in volleyball, basketball, track, chorus, and she is a student aide. She is a member of National Honor Society, serving as president this year.
To further her education, she is taking a college credit class at Mid-Plains Community College. Callie has an Academic All-State basketball award, and letters in volleyball and track. She was also on the Bandits Red softball team that won a state championship in 2016.
She plans to attend college and become a flight nurse or a nurse practitioner.
Gracie Rippen is the daughter of Ryan and Nikki Rippen.
She is a four-year honor roll student, a member of National Honor Society, and treasurer of the student council. Gracie was a St. Pat’s student of the month as a junior. She has lettered four years in basketball and track, led the cross country team, and was chosen the outstanding female athlete in the SAINT’s letter club.
Gracie volunteers in her church, X-Plore Camp, NebraskaLand Days, visits the elderly at Linden Court and helps with the Platte River Fitness Series.
She plans to attend Mount Mary College in Yankton, South Dakota and compete in cross country and track.
- Shaylen Campbell – “Black Beard” (Broken Bow)
- Madison Callaway – “Vibrant Mortality” (Broken Bow)
- Dakota Hartman – “Cultural Woman” (Ogallala)
Drawing, black & white
- Jessica Renfrow – “George” (NP)
- Jocelyn Horn – “Macaw Shatter Drawing” (Ogallala)
- Audrey Eisenrich – “Dot…dot…dot” (NP)
- Katie Ackerman – “Shipping Poster” (NP)
- Jayden Fowler – “A Walk in My Shoes” (NP)
- Nichole Lundry – “Split Decision” (Broken Bow)
- Shain Baumgartner – “Sunset on the Bay” (Broken Bow)
- Chloe Weigel – “Call me Brando, Jimmy Brando” (NP)
- Johnnie Carrasco – “Home” (NP)
- Emma Seward – “Sleeping at Last” (NP)
- Felicia Sommers – “Travel Plans” (Broken Bow)
- Rhiannon Rhone – “I Never Promised You a Rose Garden” (Broken Bow)
- Josh Monie – “Melting Dreams” (NP)
- Jaden King – “The Tentacle” (NP)
- Kiara Nekuda – “Red, Black, White” (Broken Bow)
- Anna Harper – “What’s Eating You?” (NP)
- Jackson Erickson – “Untitled Man” (NP)
- Ashlynn Picquet – “Broken Globe with Hands” (NP)
Best of Show – Katie Ackerman – “Shipping Poster” (NP)