A North Platte family is doing as well as can be expected after their home on the west side of the city was devastated Sunday by a fire.

The North Platte Fire Department was dispatched to a fire at 1691 W. 18th around 1 p.m. and had it under control within 25 minutes, North Platte Fire Marshal Mike McConnell said.

McConnell said flames were coming out the first-floor windows when firefighters arrived at 1:02 p.m. Crews from all three North Platte fire stations responded, plus volunteers and the fire was controlled by 1:25 p.m.

McConnell said the first floor of the home was extensively damaged, with minor damage to the second floor. The family pickup next to the house was burned. Heat warped the siding on the side of a neighbor’s house that faced the fire.

The home was unoccupied at the time. The family left about 20 minutes earlier to spend time with friends. A neighbor saw the fire and called 911 at 12:57 p.m.

Three cats and a dog died in the fire.

McConnell said the cause was accidental. The city and state fire marshals believe the dog jumped up, turned a knob and the burner ignited. Flames spread to flammable items on the stove top.

McConnell said 1,000 structure fires each year In the U.S. are thought to be caused by dogs jumping up on stoves. Gas stoves are the most prone because the knobs are typically on the front of the stove.

The family – Erin Zeigler, Aaron Kelley and children Cooper and Lainey – are in a house nearby that Erin’s father, Lee, owns. Lee said he was in the process of renovating the house to rent it out.

Lee said Tuesday that generous donations have been made and they are not in need of specific items. He said gift cards always come in handy.

As of Tuesday, $3,000 had been donated to the victims through their gofundme page.

© 2024 The North Platte Bulletin. All rights reserved.