Broc Carpenter of Holdrege was convicted in Lincoln County Court Thursday of scamming a parent out of money, supposedly for a kid’s baseball team.

Carpenter pled no contest to theft.

In December, Cyrus Tillford paid $750 to Carpenter to hold a spot on a traveling baseball team for his son and he later paid $200 more, supposedly for equipment. Later, Tillford discovered that his son was never on the team. Carpenter was running a scam, Lincoln County Attorney Rebecca Harling told the court.

Carpenter also owes money to Equitable Bank and almost $30 to the Canteen Bar and Grill, prosecutors said.

Tillford will receive $900 restitution from the 10% of $10,000 bond that Carpenter paid after he was arrested. Carpenter filed a financial statement with the court that says he is broke.


Kansas woman

In other court proceedings, a preliminary hearing for Kacee Jones was continued until 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 17.

Jones was a passenger in a speeding car on I-80 that was pulled over on July 23. The car was carrying 16 pounds of meth. She has been in jail since then, kept from her child in her home state of Kansas.


Lonnie Cottier

A North Platte man was sentenced to probation for domestic assault

On Sept. 30, police were called to the 1100 block of S. Tabor for a disturbance. Neighbors said they heard yelling, smashing, and a crying child. Police said they found Lonnie Cottier there, drunk and threatening his partner.

Cottier pled guilty to making threats and the county dismissed two other charges. He has been in jail since his arrest, but was released after court to return to work, while he serves 14 months of probation and completes an anti-violence program and a drug and alcohol evaluation.



Also, the court had a hard time conducting a hearing for a defendant who is originally from the Sudan.

Idris Kamis appeared in court for violating probation for driving under the influence in April. Court records show he was picked up for driving without a license in September in Dawson County.

He also missed three appointments with probation officers.

Kamis’ first language is Arabic. The court utilized an over-the-phone translation service to ensure Kamis understood his rights and the court process.

It was a long cumbersome process. To begin, Judge Edward Steenburg called the number and asked for a Sudanese interpreter. The automated system misunderstood him several times before a live person intervened and connected him to the hold line for an Arabic interpreter.

After another 10 minutes, the interpreter came on the line. Steenburg spoke slowly, a sentence or two at a time. When the hearing was finally over about 30 minutes after it began, Kamis was sentenced to 10 days in jail and his driver’s license was revoked for another six months.