Charges were bound over to district court Thursday against two men involved in a shooting on Dec. 9 on the northwest side of town.

Late that night in early December, Anthony L. Bennett showed up at the emergency room of Great Plains Health with a gunshot wound in the stomach.

The wound was not serious, thanks in part to prompt medical care at Great Plains Health in the middle of the night, the sheriff’s office said.

Both Bennet and the suspected shooter — Isaac Ryan Brown – were arrested. They remain in the Lincoln County jail, held on high bonds.

On Thursday, both suspects waived their right to a preliminary hearing in Lincoln County Court. As is customary, their bonds were reduced. Bennett’s bond dropped by $50,000 to $200,000. Brown’s bond was reduced by half, but it is still $250,000, according to county records.

When Bennett showed up at the hospital that night, the police were called. With help from a witness, law officers soon found the location of the shooting — a trailer court at 4005 West 14th — just outside the city limits.

Investigators found the suspect there — Brown – and took him to jail.

Bennett, 42, went into surgery suffering from a single gunshot wound. He was taken to jail four days later when he was released from the hospital.

Investigators believe Bennett was deeply involved in the ruckus.

Lincoln County Sheriff Jerome Kramer has said that the two men are suspected drug dealers, and the shooting apparently was part of the fallout from a twisted deal that also involved Brown’s wife. The two men had been arguing through Facebook messenger, according to an investigator’s affidavit filed with the court.

According to that report, Bennett allegedly brought two guns to the scene. He confronted Brown in Brown’s driveway, holding a handgun, with another gun tucked in his waistband.

Brown is thought to have wrested the gun away from Bennett. Shots were fired. One shot reportedly hit Brown’s vehicle where three children were seated.

The children were not physically injured.

After Bennett was shot, he returned to his car. He allegedly took time to hide one of the guns in the hatchback of the car. Then he drove himself to the hospital.

Brown kept the other gun and allegedly tossed it in a canal east of the fairgrounds. Divers later recovered a gun in the canal, according to court documents.

Investigators also checked the back of Bennett’s car, where they found a 9 mm handgun. The gun was allegedly stolen that same day from Bennett’s roommate in Hershey, according to the investigator’s affidavit.

Isaac Brown’s wife Natasha was later arrested and charged with child abuse. Her children were previously removed from the home after hair follicle tests confirmed the presence of meth.

According to the court affidavit, deputies searched the mobile home and found it filthy, containing “numerous items of drug paraphernalia.”

Brown, 35, is charged with first-degree assault and tampering with physical evidence.

Bennett, 42, is charged with possession of a stolen firearm, use of a weapon, possession of a deadly weapon by a felon and making terroristic threats.



According to the Bulletin’s records, Bennett was arrested for the 10th time in Lincoln County in 2014, just a few months after he was released from county jail, where he had served 90 days for assault, drug possession and resisting arrest.

Bennett’s 10th arrest was for much the same crimes as his 9th — domestic assault of a woman and threatening her with a handgun.

After the 10th arrest, prosecutors asked for and received a prison sentence, based on Bennett’s history of violence. Consequently, he spent 11 months in the state prison for two counts of assault and illegal possession of a weapon. He was released in May 2016, according to prison records.

Brown also served time in the state penitentiary, but records are incomplete. A state prison official said Brown was held for a short time in 2007 as he was transferred from one state to another after a conviction. He has been charged with numerous crimes over the years, according to Red Willow County court records. He is the son of McCook Police Chief Isaac Brown.

Natasha Brown’s initial bond was set at $50,000. She came up with the required 10% and was released from jail.