The Nebraska Sheep and Goat Producers annual conference will be held on Saturday, Oct. 17 at the Westside Event Center, 2475 County Rd 62, in Alliance.
Registration will begin at 9 a.m. Mountain Time.
The educational program will consist of:
- 9:15 – Welcome by Aaron Fintel, President of the Nebraska Sheep and Goat Producers Association
- 9:30 – Travel to and tour of Open Skies Farm located at 28782 CR 59 Alliance
- Speakers will include Jacques Grobler, commercial sheep producer from South Africa, and Gerdus Korb, purebred white dorper seedstock producer from South Africa – “The similarities of raising sheep from South Africa to the USA.”
- 10:45 – Gwendolyn Kitzan – American Lamb Board Update at the Event Center
- 12:00 – Lunch – “Cooking with Lamb”
- 1:00 – Jaelyn Whaley, SDSU Sheep Field Specialist – “Evaluating the effects of excessively finished lambs on the processing sector.”
- 1:30 – Kat Tylee, fiber artist and wool grader of Little Hawks Yarns, Chadron – “The in and out of the fiber world.”
- 2:00 – Harold Johnson, Windmill Boer Goats, Hyannis, NE _ “Raising goats and grazing management of your pastures.”
- 2:45 – Randy Saner, UNL Extension Educator, North Platte – Nebraska sheep and goat budgets, do they look reasonable?”
- 3:30 – Producer panel
- 5 pm – Annual meeting and dinner