A charge of attempted second-degree murder was bound over to district court Thursday against Walterio Seabrooks, a 27 year old who allegedly beat up a cop and tried to get his gun.

According to a sworn court affidavit, police officer Alexander Parker went to 1301 West 17th on Oct. 11 to check out a complaint that someone was trying to get through a window on the back of the house.

When Parker arrived, he found Seabrooks hiding in a doghouse in the backyard. When he tried to arrest him for trespassing, Seabrooks turned on him, punching him in the face and knocking him to the ground.

A mighty struggle ensued, according to the affidavit. Seabrooks continued to punch the cop in the face and then tried to get his gun.

During the assault, he broke one of Parker’s teeth, his nose and severely bruised and battered his face. The bruises and swelling from the attack made him almost unrecognizable, the court affidavit said.

Other officers arrived in time to subdue Seabrooks and take him to jail. When they searched his home, they found a homemade bong made from an apple, a bottle containing Creatine pills that smelled of marijuana, and a knife that was 10 inches long.

After the knife was found, Seabrooks was also charged with being a felon in possession of a weapon.

It was the sixth time Seabrooks has been arrested this year, according to the Bulletin archives. The most recent previous arrest was Oct. 1, when he was charged with theft and flight to avoid arrest.

Defense Attorney Kent Florom asked the court to reduce his client’s jail bond by 50%.

Florom noted that Seabrooks is “a longtime resident, is employed and has a long-time relationship with his girlfriend and her son. And, he has family here and is not a flight risk”. However, Deputy County Attorney Angela Franz objected due to the violence of the crime. She said, “What started out as a simple trespassing arrest turned into an assault on a police officer.”

“He proceeded to assault the officer and tried to take his gun,” Franz said.

Franz said Seabrooks showed a severe disregard for public safety and asked that his jail bond remain at $1 million.

Steenburg agreed. It would take $100,000 for Seabrooks to get out of jail.

Seabrooks faces up to 50 years in prison if he in convicted.