Civil Engineer Cory Steinke said Lake McConaughy is currently at elevation 3256.5 feet, which is approximately 86% capacity.

Speaking to the Central Nebraska Public Power and Irrigation District board of directors Monday, Steinke said recent rains have kept inflows higher at a time when inflows would normally be declining.

Steinke also mentioned that North Platte River conditions are above average for this time of year.

 

Water for habitat

Also, during a special board meeting on June 22, the board approved a one-year memorandum of understanding with Central Platte Natural Resources District to participate in a pilot program to exchange surface water.

The agreement states that during the 2018 irrigation season, CPNRD agrees not to deliver surface water to 25,491 acres from the three irrigation canals that CPNRD partners with — Cozad, Thirty-Mile and Orchard-Alfalfa canals — in exchange for a portion of the water being credited to the environmental water account in Lake McConaughy.

The environmental account is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for the purposes of endangered species habitat.

 

In other action Monday, the board:

Voted to enter into an agreement with Dawson County for underwater bridge inspections.

The agreement states that certain bridges owned by Central located in Dawson County qualify for the use of Surface Transportation Program Funds through the federal government.

This program allows the use of federal funds to pay 80% of the inspection costs, with Central being held responsible for reimbursement to Dawson County for the remaining 20%.

The approval of the agreement also required Central to add $5,000 to its 2018 budget for the bridge inspections.

• Voted to approve the purchase of a flowmeter for the Elwood Pump Station for $13,924.

• Approved a bid for hauling riprap to RSK Trucking of Bertrand for $10,500.

• Approved $6,000 from the Lake Improvement Fund to help with the construction costs of the Mallard Beach Jetty Lighthouse Project at Johnson Lake.