The North Platte Fire Department made quick work of a grease fire Sunday night at the McDonalds restaurant on 1313 S. Dewey.Firefighters received the call around 9:30 p.m. and two crews were dispatched to extinguish the blaze that started in one of the fryers, Battalion Fire Chief Dave Heitman said.
“It didn’t take us long to put it out, maybe 10 minutes or so,” Heitman said. “It was contained to the fryer area. A vent above the machine pulled most of the smoke out, so there was no smoke damage in the store.”
The fryer was equipped with a fire prevention system that activated when the fire started but “didn’t quite get it completely out” Heitman said.
“The McDonald’s crew did a great job and had everyone evacuated before we arrived,” he said. Store Manager Holly Williams agreed that the crew made sure everyone was out and safe.
Grease fires are common when fryers overheat.
“They are not supposed to do that, but that one did,” Heitman said.
Firefighters inspected the roof and found no other damage to the building.
The store closed overnight but Williams told the Bulletin that it reopened Monday morning.
The fryer could not be repaired, Williams said Tuesday morning.
“We are getting another one today. Until then, we won’t be able to serve all day breakfast from lunch time on, and will not have fish or hash browns. Other than that, everything else is good.”